Jewish Volunteer Center Launches its Inaugural Teen Summer of Service
This summer, the Jewish Volunteer Center of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation will be offering a wide range of service programs for teenagers ages 12 through 18 as a part of the new Teen Summer of Service program. Teenagers will have the opportunity to assist the elderly, serve as assistant teachers, provide food to those in need, work at summer camps, or even travel to Boston, Chicago, DC or Israel. By volunteering with the Teen Summer of Service, teenagers can help those in need, acquire valuable work experience and earn community service hours.
Below is a list of organizations offering programs as part of the Teen Summer of Service. For more information about the Teen Summer of Service or the Jewish Volunteer Center, please contact Lori Drutz at email@example.com or 786.866.8414.
Miami Jewish Health Systems
Summer volunteer opportunities are available to teenagers 14 years or older on weekdays and Sundays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Transporting patients and assisting staff in the Ambulatory Health Clinic
- Assisting older residents with activities, including arts and crafts
- Helping with activities in the PACE unit
- Assisting the Unit Secretary, where volunteers will learn about the field of medicine while manning the welcome desk
- Assisting family members and visitors in Rehab and the Nursing Home
- Encouraging and supervising activities such as dancing, singing or computer use in the Special Care Unit
- Helping the IT department by working on computer programs while assisting staff
- Get creative – if you have an idea for a volunteer project, Miami Jewish Health Systems will help you put it into action!
For more information about volunteering with the Miami Jewish Health Systems, please contact Susan Willenborg, Director of Volunteers, at 305.762.1407.
Temple Israel of Greater Miami
Temple Israel of Greater Miami is looking for teen volunteers to assist teachers in their summer programs. Teenagers who are 16 years or older can volunteer between Monday and Friday with flexible hours ranging from 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. For more information about volunteering with Temple Israel, please contact Valeria Michanie at 786-248-3033.
With BBYO Impact, teenage volunteers will be able to travel to Boston, Chicago, DC or Israel. Once there, they will be able to learn about important issues affecting the Jewish community, meet other young Jewish leaders, and help make the world a better place. For more information, visit www.bbyo.org/summer or call Alex Bolotovsky, Regional Program Director, Miami BBYO at 484.553.6106.
Jewish Community Services (JCS)
Jewish Community Services has a wide range of volunteer opportunities available for teenagers between the ages of 13 and 17 from Monday-Friday with flexible hours between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. These programs include:
- Assisting or leading activities for older adults
- Teaching a class
- Assisting in the senior fitness program
- Serving a meal at one of the JCS’s five meal sites in Dade County
- Providing clerical and administrative support to staff members
- Shopping for food for older adults
- Helping at the food bank by sorting food and stocking shelves
- Creating a food drive for the kosher food bank
- Sponsoring a corner such as the school supply corner
- Providing workshops for developmentally disabled individual
- Assisting in one of the JCS departments including Human Resources, Finance, Resource Development and Marketing
To learn more about volunteering with JCS, please call Marian Mendelsohn, Director of Special Projects, at 305.403.6539.
Volunteers are needed to sort bags of donated clothes, help organize shelves and assist clients at The Closet, a community-based clothing thrift shop in North Miami Beach. Volunteers ages 12 and up are needed on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Those interested in volunteering should call Dana Tangir at 305.467.1928 or Karina Chocron at 305.305.9222.
Gain valuable work experience at Temple Ahavat Olam in South Dade, where volunteers will perform office work, answer phones, and file and organizing documents. Volunteers 16 years and older are needed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. To learn more, please contact Kim Fielder at 305.412.4240.
Temple Sinai of North Dade needs volunteers ages 16 and up to help at their multiple offices and at their summer camp. Volunteers are needed Monday-Friday, with hours based on the availability of the volunteer. To be a part of this opportunity, please contact Susan Warech at 305.932.9010.
Volunteer with Chai Lifeline, an organization which brings joy to children who are living with an illness. Chai Lifeline offers volunteer opportunities for teens ages 16 and older. Opportunities include:
- Office work
- Deliveries to hospitals
- Transportation to appointments
- Food Delivery
- Big Brother, Big Sister program
If you would like to volunteer with Chai Life line, please contact their office at 305.956.9990.