Sylvia Tuman Scholarship Application 2023
Application Deadline: Wednesday, May 31, 2023
The Sylvia Tuman Scholarship Program, administered by The Foundation of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation, provides a limited number of scholarships for Jewish students who require financial assistance to further their education. Students must be enrolled or accepted into an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program at a college or university located in Miami-Dade or Broward counties. Preference is given to institutions in Miami-Dade County.
Please see below for full eligibility requirements and to apply.
For questions, email Bonnie Dawson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 786-866-8498.
A. Eligibility Requirements
1. Applicant must be enrolled or accepted into an accredited postsecondary institution of higher education in Miami-Dade or Broward Counties, Florida.
2. Graduate and undergraduate degree-granting programs are eligible.
3. Vocational/technical schools are not eligible.
4. Preference is given to institutions in Miami-Dade County.
B. Objective Criteria:
1. Completed application.
2. Proof of current enrollment or acceptance at a college or university in Miami-Dade or Broward Counties.
3. Copy of latest income tax return (Form 1040)
4. FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR)
5. Tuition owed
6. Other financial aid or loans received
C. How the Process Works:
1. The applicant must submit all required materials by the deadline in order to be considered for a scholarship. A limited number Sylvia Tuman Scholarships are awarded each year.
2. Applicant’s information is submitted to the scholarship committee for deliberation.
3. Applicant is notified of decision in writing.
4. Funds awarded are processed and sent directly to the appropriate institution for reimbursement.
5. Recommended Community Service volunteering at Federation’s Super Sunday.
To apply, please click here
You will be asked to create an account on the Submittable.com platform which will allow you to save your application as you work on it and monitor its status.
Please have the following documents on hand as you will be asked to upload them at the end of the application:
- A copy of your most recent income tax return and a school acceptance letter are required for your application to be considered. Please note that tax returns from both parents are required unless the applicant is considered an independent student* (see below for definition).
- Proof of current enrollment or acceptance at a college or university in Miami-Dade or Broward Counties.
- A copy of your FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Proof of tuition currently owed (tuition bill/statement)
- Proof of financial aid and student loans received, if applicable
*Independent Student Definition: You qualify as an independent student if you are at least 24 years of age, married, on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, financially supporting dependent children, an orphan (both parents deceased), a ward of the court, or an emancipated minor.
An additional resource available for your consideration is an interest-free loan from the Hebrew Free Loan Association, a subsidiary of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation. For more information, please visit jewishmiami.org/hfla or call 305-692-7555.