Statement of Values and Code of Ethics
The Greater Miami Jewish Federation proudly works to foster quality, efficiency, and courtesy-workplace values informed by Jewish tradition and progressive philanthropic principles. This reflects our commitment to the holy purpose of the Federation’s work in partnership with volunteer leaders and donors. These ideals guide us in our efforts to create a community based on the Torah values of tikkun olam (repairing the world), chesed (acts of loving kindness) and Tzedakah (justice.)
As a matter of fundamental principle, the Greater Miami Jewish Federation should adhere to the highest ethical standards and the highest standards of Jewish tradition because it is the right thing to do. As a matter of pragmatic self-interest, the Greater Miami Jewish Federation should do so because public trust in our performance is the bedrock of our legitimacy. Donors and volunteers support charitable organizations because they trust them to carry out their missions, to be good stewards of their resources, and to uphold rigorous standards of conduct.*
The Greater Miami Jewish Federation must earn this trust every day and in every possible way. It is up to the people of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation – executive leaders, staff, and volunteers – to demonstrate their ongoing commitment to the core values of integrity, honesty, fairness, openness, respect, and responsibility.
Adherence to the law is the minimum standard of expected behavior. We must embrace the spirit of the law, often going beyond legal requirements and making sure that what we do is matched by what the public understands about what we do. Transparency, openness and responsiveness to public concerns must be integral to our behavior.
Statement of Values
- Any code of ethics is built on a foundation of widely shared values. The values of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation include:
- Commitment to the public good;
- Accountability to the public;
- Commitment beyond the law;
- Respect for the worth and dignity of individuals;
- Inclusiveness and social justice;
- Respect for pluralism and diversity;
- Transparency, integrity and honesty;
- Responsible stewardship of resources; and
- Commitment to excellence and to maintaining the public trust.
- These values lead directly to the Code of Ethics for the Greater Miami Jewish Federation that follows. The values inform and guide the actions that Greater Miami Jewish Federation should take in developing its policies and informing its practices.
The Code of Ethics for the Greater Miami Jewish Federation
I. Personal and Professional Integrity
All staff, board members and volunteers of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation act with honesty, integrity and openness in all their dealings as representatives of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation. The Greater Miami Jewish Federation promotes a working environment that values respect, fairness and integrity.
The Greater Miami Jewish Federation has a clearly stated mission and purpose, approved by the board of directors, in pursuit of the public good. All of its programs support that mission and all who work for or on behalf of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation understand and are loyal to that mission and purpose. The mission is responsive to the constituency and communities served by the Greater Miami Jewish Federation and of value to the society at large.
The Greater Miami Jewish Federation has an active governing body that is responsible for setting the mission and strategic direction of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation and oversight of the finances, operations, and policies of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation. The governing body:
- Ensures that its board members or trustees have the requisite skills and experience to carry out their duties and that all members understand and fulfill their governance duties acting for the benefit of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation and its public purpose.
- Has a conflict of interest policy that ensures that any conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof are avoided or appropriately managed through disclosure, recusal or other means; and
- Through the Compensation Committee is responsible for the hiring, firing, and regular review of the performance of the chief executive officer, and ensures that the compensation of the chief executive officer is reasonable and appropriate;
- Ensures that the CEO and appropriate staff provide the governing body with timely and comprehensive information so that the governing body can effectively carry out its duties;
- Ensures that the Greater Miami Jewish Federation promotes working relationships with board members, staff, volunteers, and program beneficiaries that are based on mutual respect, fairness and openness;
- Ensures that the Greater Miami Jewish Federation is fair and inclusive in its hiring and promotion policies and practices for all board, staff and volunteer positions;
- Ensures that policies of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation are in writing, clearly articulated and officially adopted;
- Ensures that the resources of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation are responsibly and prudently managed; and
- Ensures that the Greater Miami Jewish Federation has the capacity to carry out its programs effectively.
IV. Legal Compliance
The Greater Miami Jewish Federation is knowledgeable of and complies with all laws, regulations and applicable international conventions.
V. Responsible Stewardship
The Greater Miami Jewish Federation manages its funds responsibly and prudently. This should include the following considerations:
- It spends a reasonable percentage of its annual budget on programs in pursuance of its mission;
- It seeks to determine the effectiveness of programs.
- It spends an adequate amount on administrative expenses to ensure effective accounting systems, internal controls, competent staff, and other expenditures critical to professional management;
- The Greater Miami Jewish Federation compensates staff, and any others who may receive compensation, reasonably and appropriately;
- The Greater Miami Jewish Federation prudently draws from endowment funds consistent with donor intent and to support the public purpose of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation;
- The Greater Miami Jewish Federation ensures that all spending practices and policies are fair, reasonable and appropriate to fulfill the mission of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation; and
- All financial reports are factually accurate and complete in all material respects.
VI. Openness and Disclosure
The Greater Miami Jewish Federation provides comprehensive and timely information to the public, the media, and all stakeholders and is responsive in a timely manner to reasonable requests for information. All information about the Greater Miami Jewish Federation will fully and honestly reflect the policies and practices of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation. Basic informational data about the Greater Miami Jewish Federation, such as the Form 990, reviews and compilations, and audited financial statements will be posted on the Greater Miami Jewish Federation’s website or otherwise available to the public. All solicitation materials accurately represent the Greater Miami Jewish Federation’s policies and practices and will reflect the dignity of program beneficiaries. All financial, organizational, and program reports will be complete and accurate in all material respects.
VII. Program Evaluation
The Greater Miami Jewish Federation regularly reviews program effectiveness and has mechanisms to incorporate lessons learned into future programs. The Greater Miami Jewish Federation is committed to improving program and organizational effectiveness and develops mechanisms to promote learning from its activities and the field. The Greater Miami Jewish Federation is responsive to changes in its field of activity and is responsive to the needs of its constituencies.
VIII. Inclusiveness and Diversity
The Greater Miami Jewish Federation has a policy of promoting inclusiveness and its staff, board and volunteers reflect diversity in order to enrich its programmatic effectiveness. The Greater Miami Jewish Federation takes meaningful steps to promote inclusiveness in its hiring, retention, promotion, board recruitment and constituencies served.
In raising funds from the public, the Greater Miami Jewish Federation will respect the rights of donors, as follows:
- To be informed of the mission of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation, the way the resources will be used and its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes;
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the Greater Miami Jewish Federation’s governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities;
- To have access to the Greater Miami Jewish Federation’s most recent financial reports;
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given;
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition;
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by the law;
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature;
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation or hired solicitors;
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
- Much of the spirit, and some of the language, in this Code are taken from Obedience to the Unenforceable, first published by Independent Sector in 1991 and re-released in 2002.