Federation Stands Strong Against BDS and Roger Waters
June 23, 2022
Today the Greater Miami Jewish Federation placed highly targeted search engine ads targeting those who seek to purchase tickets to see Pink Floyd co-founder and vocalist Roger Waters, who will perform in Miami on August 23. It marks a continued effort of Federation’s JCRC to educate and engage the community to combat the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) tactics used to delegitimize Israel. Waters is an outspoken supporter of the BDS movement against Israel and uses his performances, as well as media outlets and frequent public statements, to espouse virulent anti-Zionist and antisemitic rhetoric.
- When asked about British politician and renowned antisemite Jeremy Corbyn, Waters referred to Corbyn as victim of a conspiracy initiated by Israel’s “Strategic Affairs Ministry.”
- Waters projected the phrase “Resist Israeli antisemitism” during a concert in Poland in 2018.
- A documentary titled “Wish You Weren’t Here: The Dark Side of Roger Waters,” was made by respected journalist and filmmaker Ian Halperin to highlight Waters’ “Jewish problem.”
The BDS movement is an antisemitic global campaign to isolate and demonize Israel through economic, cultural and political pressure. Its ultimate goal is to eliminate the existence of Israel as the homeland of the Jewish people. While BDS advocates claim to be seeking a peaceful solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the movement undermines the internationally supported peace process and decreases chances for a negotiated two-state solution. Its antisemitic intent was highlighted earlier this month when a group referring to itself as “BDS Boston” mapped the infrastructure of the Massachusetts Jewish community using methodology similar to that of the Nazis.
This is Federation’s second campaign against Waters in five years.
In numerous ways throughout the year, JCRC continues to educate both high school and college students, mobilize the community to combat BDS initiatives and advocate on legislation to impose punitive measures on entities engaged in BDS activities against Israel.
We are hopeful that Waters and others like him will find themselves increasingly isolated as more and more people come to understand the hatefulness that lies at the heart of their actions.
To help support the State of Israel and stand strong against hatred and the BDS movement, please consider the following:
1. Educate yourself and your peers on antisemitism and BDS.
2. Speak out on social media by posting “I won’t be attending the Roger Waters concert in Miami and neither should you. Here’s why.”
3. Contact your elected officials and ask them to speak out against the hate perpetrated recently by BDS Boston.
4. Actively seek out Israeli-made products for purchase and promotion.
5. Reject companies, artists and products that promote hate and support BDS.
6. Like the JCRC Facebook page.
7. Join us in visiting Israel on the Greater Miami Jewish Federation Israel at 75 Miami Mega Mission, April 20-27, 2023.
Elected Officials Speak Out Against Roger Waters and His Hate
Mayor Daniella Levine Cava, Miami Dade County: “There is no place for hate – towards anyone – in Miami-Dade County,” said Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava. “We treasure our community as a haven of diversity, inclusion, and acceptance, and I will continue working to break down the walls that divide us. Together, we’re building a more peaceful and accepting Miami-Dade. I ask everyone in this community to join me in that effort.”
Senator Rick Scott tweets:
Floridians stand with our Jewish community, and no one, including rock stars, should be surprised when we are disgusted by such hateful rhetoric.https://t.co/tGEVW8R7kh— Rick Scott (@SenRickScott) August 19, 2022
Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz: “There is no place in our community for antisemitism, hatred, or bigotry. Those who support the so-called "Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions" movement too often peddle in dangerous antisemitic tropes. Their words and actions do not seek, nor will they help achieve lasting Israeli-Palestinian peace. In fact, these disturbing and hostile beliefs only dim the prospects for a peaceful two-state solution.”
Congressman Carlos Gimenez: “We have to call out anti-Semitism wherever it appears. Roger Waters has a long track record of anti-Semitic rhetoric and supporting movements to boycott Israel. His comments and constant support of anti-Israel actions and sentiments foments hatred against our Jewish residents, all who form such an incredibly important part of our South Florida community. Roger Waters and his anti-Semitic rhetoric does not reflect the values of South Florida.”
Congresswoman Maria Elvira Salazar tweets:
The Miami community has one message for Roger Waters:— María Elvira Salazar 🇺🇸 (@MaElviraSalazar) August 22, 2022
Your anti-semitism and hatred is NOT welcome here in our city. https://t.co/EfwyI22DlI
For more information on how you can get involved in JCRC, contact email@example.com.