Why a Women's Gift?
There are many important reasons why you should consider a contribution as a woman through Women’s Philanthropy, in any amount, in your own name.
- Tzedakah is a mitzvah, a personal obligation. Just as no one can perform a mitzvah on behalf of another, determining your share in meeting the needs of the global Jewish community is an important individual decision.
- A separate donation gives you your own identity, distinct and independent from your spouse, partner or family. This is consistent not only with societal ideals, but also with the Jewish view that each human being is of infinite value.
- A donation in your own name establishes you as a full investor in your community.
- The obligation to give tzedakah continues throughout your life, without regard to marital status.
- Each gift counts as another "vote" for the well-being of our Jewish community.
Through our recognition societies, we honor those women who make a gift of $5,000 or more in their own name to the Annual Federation/UJA Campaign.
Lion of Judah
Created in 1972 by Norma Kipnis Wilson and Toby Friedland (z”l) of blessed memory, for the Miami Women’s Division Campaign, the Lion of Judah is now an international society of women who make a commitment of a minimum of $5,000 to the Annual Campaign. This program brings together women of all ages and from many walks of life who share a passion and a purpose — to change the world. Today, nearly 18,000 women worldwide (with over 500 in Miami) proudly wear the gold Lion pin to signify their commitment. It is so much more than a piece of jewlery. It is recognized as an icon for women's giving and serves as a powerful symbol of women's philanthropy.
Ask any woman who wears the Lion of Judah pin and she’ll tell you: There’s nothing like being in the same room with hundreds of like-minded women who "roar." This alone symbolizes our success, strength and commitment to Jewish peoplehood.
As a Lion of Judah, you’ll be invited to local, national and international events and conferences to gather with like-minded women. You’ll hear from top speakers, learn more about important issues and have the opportunity to make a lasting impact on the world around you.
Discover how you can become a Lion of Judah. Contact us at Women@JewishMiami.org or 786.866.8440.
Lion of Judah Endowment
Just as the Lion of Judah has its roots in Miami, so, too does the Lion of Judah Endowment (LOJE). Created in 1993 by Mikki Futernick, LOJE honors women who have perpetuated their Lion of Judah-level donation, making them Forever Lions. You can establish a LOJE gift through a minimum endowment of $100,000 or more in your name, creating a lasting Jewish legacy and securing a strong future for the Jewish people. Today, nearly 200 Miami women are Forever Lions — symbolized by the flame on their pin. For more information, contact The Foundation at Foundation@JewishMiami.org or 786.866.8627.